Sunday, March 9, 2014

Love Letters
Megan Foss
Creative Nonfiction Journal

The first time Foss used "mighta" I was taken aback and intrigued by the linguistic choice. The story is compelling through her use of tension. The line "I never mailed a single one," was chilling in its simplicity at upsetting the status quo from the get go. Foss leads her reader through the story as she slowly reveals who she is. The story itself is part of the story, which creates even more tension. As a reader I was drawn into how she got to the place where she was writing this piece. She creates a camaraderie with the reader when she mentions pieces written for her English teachers as though she expects the reader to have already read them and understand there purpose.

The final section, section 3, was very powerful. My initial feelings of the piece were explained to me, as Foss explained how everything is purposeful. the way she weaves the words together is a expression of where she came from and a blending of lives that society is determined to keep separate and uncomfortable at blending "language was the biggest con of all," Foss says, it is the way one says something not the content that she felt was being considered. "I think I understand that to accept that the drug-addicted hooker that I was could have possessed intelligence and critical thinking somehow speaks to a societal failure as well as my own."

Questions
What is her current attitude on the power of language? Thoughts as a published author?
Does she see her style transforming as she does or is she attached to the blending of languages?


No comments:

Post a Comment