Monday, March 24, 2014

Writing Prompt- March 11: In group/out group

Hello Grace,

I know you were never impressed by the fact that I ran, jogged, moved, what have you. I know it was your thing. I am aware I never quite fit the club, I did try though. When I asked you to run with me I was excited to have this shared interest with you, runners are definitely an exclusive group. There is a difference between people who run and runners. Runners, like you, are allowed to wear the shirts that say "Irun" or "Runners High" they can post articles on facebook about how to spot a runner (standing looking pissed at a crosswalk while cars pass instead of jogging in place) specifics I would never intrinsically know as somehow you did. My body isn't made to run, it bangs and bounds and flops, but I run anyway because I like the idea that my body is the one thing in this world that I have control over so if I tell it to run it has to. That's not why you run. I wish I could say here why you do but I don't   know and that's why I haven't yet been invited to be part of your club. If I knew I would work towards that thought process because even though I have my reasons now I want the shared reason so I can join cross-country or track instead of running alone in the evenings. I ran every morning in high school  and you knew. Maybe that was the problem, I talked about it, runners aren't supposed to do that because it is such an internal spiritual matter or something, I am hypothesizing here. I sometimes run with my roommate, she is one of the only people I feel comfortable running with. She is on both track and cross-country but she isn't in the club. Even without being a member I can tell. She runs for company and scholarships. The external rewards that marathoner would scoff at. You have run multiple half marathons and I am so proud. I want to do one someday I don't know if i'll tell you. You would be really supportive but it would make me feel fake.

Love,
ELizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment