Thursday, February 6, 2014

Free Write

Broom


A broom hangs on the wall in the backroom, the sun room, of my house. It is a strange small broom. An orphan girl would use it to sweep the floor in the movie adaptation of a Charles Dickens novel. It isn't exactly my families interior decorating taste. It fits with nothing else hanging in my house. It isn't from India or Bangladesh or crafted by my brother or I. It is a broom purchased for my Halloween costume in 2nd grade. I was a witch because I was creative. I bought a tall stiff black hat, a silky black cape that was meant for Dracula and that rigid little broom. I didn't even carry it around. I handed it off to my parent chaperon after a block and focused my spindly arms on the pumpkin  full of dense nutty chocolates. My neighbors were good at Halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment