Sunday, February 9, 2014

Then You'll Be Straight
Margret Price
Creative NonFiction Journal

This piece felt incredible topical. It has relevance both in what we have been discussing in class concerning Eula Biss and the ongoing campus discussions on the open letter. Price's voice is straight (pun unintended) and clear. "I feel so queer," she says "I feel so white." She lets the reader experience her insecurities and how she reacts to them herself-- "I feel  like I'm in a badly written television movie about a lesbian professor," "I assure myself it has nothing to do with my mangling of their names on the first day."
I enjoyed the form of the essay. The short topic specific paragraphs made it the piece easy to process. Though all short, they vary somewhat in length, the shortest being four lines long. The theme (I would say the quote "I would say that talking about my race strengthens ethos by increasing the sense of common ground while talking about my sexuality weakens it by decreasing the sense of common ground" sums it up) is stretched out and explained in different ways through the sections.
Within the larger segments Price is quite descriptive, especially of what she herself is experiencing-- "I stood , dry-erase marker poised an inch from the board, while my face, already warm with nervousness, flushed even pinker," "Racism sticks to my skin, glints in my blue eyes, lolls on my tongue."

Questions:
What was the significance of the last story?
The first section of your class you said you never connected with them. What do you mean by this?

No comments:

Post a Comment