Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Place- Reality


I am afraid I am ruining reality for myself. I am pursuing a career in the imaginary. Working towards a Film Studies and English Writing double major causes me to reshape events immediately after they happen I am constantly creating a reality worth sharing. Emotional truth had overpowered the factual. The statements the caricatured me would have said are actually spoken.
Last year I bumped, physically into a friend as she was going to print a paper. She printed his paper than sat and talked with me sitting on the floor. We talked about the shit people talk about at night- time travel, how you see yourself, how others see you, different layers of perception. Ghostly yellow lights caused her skin to look like she had scurvy. She said "If I had known this was going to happen I would have already thought through all this conversation. I am glad I didn't know so this is the first time I am having it."
We live through the same moments so many times that the real one becomes inconsequential. In 7th grade a boy sat next to me on the bus on the way to the science museum. I told my friends afterwards that he had sat with his leg pressed against mine the whole time. I think this was a lie but I don't know I told the story so many times it no longer matters if it happened or not because I have lived my life and they have lived there lives like it had. I can make myself feel the pressure of his khaki clad leg.
Napoleon Bonaparte is quoted saying "History is a set of lies agreed upon." What does that say about reality? If we shape the present based on the past, we are building a house without a foundation. I would argue that this isn't a bad thing though people die for what they believe the past is. They are willing to sacrifice themselves for their reality.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm. But if we're willing to die for a fiction? You've made a convincing argument for the power of stories, but there's something to be said for letting go of the narrative once in a while so we can see what lies beyond the narrative;-)

    ReplyDelete