Sunday, February 23, 2014

PA to IN and Back Again


To those Lancaster bound,

You know that moment around the 7th hour when you come to the realization that you will be in that car forever and you are slowly forgetting that you have ever been anywhere else? When all of a sudden those 3 to 4 strangers you have been begrudgingly letting to DJ and unhappily offering to share your trail mix with become your universe and you can say anything you want at whatever volume you want and it is okay? There is a bond in that moment that can be felt no where else. Then if an upbeat song comes on you will all sing along and you feel more complete than you do anywhere else because you realize that this specific moment is as good as it can possibly get. You can't grasp this emotion anywhere else because the world is full of possibilities, it's an oyster.  But, after being in a car for 7 hours with 3 plus more to go you realize that you have nothing but hubcaps, too little legroom, and Ipod cords. In this way you experience what might be pure happiness, contentment.

Fall 2012- To Goshen:  I sat in the back surrounded by everything I owned plus some. I memorized "The Love Song of J.Alfred Prufrock" and thought about how my life was changing.
Thanksgiving Break- To Lancaster: I sat in the middle back seat. On my left was a boy watching Scooby-Doo on his laptop on my right was a boy watching Schindlers list.
Thanksgiving Break- To Goshen: The girls driving and her companion sitting shotgun gossiped the whole time. It was very informative about people I didn't know.
Christmas Break- To Lancaster: A junior boy whipped out his flute and played for the rest of the car. If it was a Christmas carol we all sang along.
Christmas Break- To Goshen: The van door wasn't shut properly so while on the turnpike I had to open and slam it again. I shut it on my hair and it jammed.
Summer Break- To Lancaster: We did the trip in two days. We spent the night at the relatives of the car owners. We slept in a fluffy basement and watched Pitch Perfect.
Fall 2013- To Goshen: One of my car companions mother handed him a plastic bag of things for the car. The contents: three stale rolls, damped paper towels, and a Ziploc bag full of nickels.
Christmas Break- To Lancaster: I drove the entire just under 10 hours. From 6:30pm to 4:15am.
Christmas Break- To Goshen: We crashed. The car was totaled.
Spring Break- To Lancaster: We constantly rotated seats and alternated between listening to episodes of "Wait wait don't tell me" and Coldplay remixes.

No comments:

Post a Comment