Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Writing Literary Criticism


I don't write from an outline-- research papers being the exception. I also seldom brainstorm. I have a small journal in my backpack where I write ideas that hit me with unnatural precision, pieces of conversation I hear and notes I take during movies but it I don't often resort to that. I write from the moment I am in. I write from one thought that tumbles into two than three. I began writing about listening to my father read. I didn't know where I was going with it but I knew it was an image I wanted to create. From there I wanted to explain the difference in reading to yourself. I wrote about "The Giver" and the trouble I had processing the book on my own. I found that both these segments paralleled the particular stages of life I was in at the time. I continued on, searching through my memory of books and finding which ones I associated with a particular stage of life, like a smell can bring a memory back so can the written word.
I worked at changing tone as my voice developed through maturing. I gradual increased the amount of information I gave but hope that even in the shorter sections the experience of being that age comes through. I began with a straightforward segment on my parents giving a glimpse into how books came into my life, which I later cut for lack of space. I decided to focus on my own memories of the books rather than those pressed onto me. The final section  is more stylized as I come into my own.
The ending is conveying the fact that I am still unsure of reality mimics the thoughts I had during The Giver section and interpretive of the young adult stage of life. Nothing is for sure or permanent and I am lost between fiction and fantasy. The only concrete I have after college graduation are stories both my own and other peoples. I don't yet know enough to claim the theme of my own story, my own life but I am confident that some day it will make sense. That even that moment too will one day be nothing more than words on a page.
During the writing workshop I received feedback on pinpointing my voice by using conjunctions. I also made the substantial switch from past to present tense which was well received.

1 comment:

  1. You definitely sound like a "right brain" writer--that is, you begin with an image or an overall design and trust it to take you where you need to go. The trick is to make friends with your editing brain, and bring her in afterwards to tidy up the writing.

    ReplyDelete